Thomson: “Time, Work-Disipline and Industrial Capitalism”

Thomson in this articles asks how technological improvement in time-keeping changed ordinary people’s experience of time. This reminds me of a novel I read in my early teenage years: Momo or also known as The Men in Gray written by Michael Ende (1973).

This is the story of Momo (from wikipedia)

“In the ruins of an amphitheatre just outside an unnamed Italian city lives Momo, a little girl of mysterious origin. She is remarkable in the neighborhood because she has the extraordinary ability to listen — really listen. By simply being with people and listening to them, she can help them find answers to their problems, make up with each other, and think of fun games. The expression “go and see Momo!” has become synonymous with panacea and Momo has become the friend of everyone, especially honest street- cleaner Beppo and poetic tour guide Guido (also known as “Gigi”).

| | | Next → |

1 thought on “Thomson: “Time, Work-Disipline and Industrial Capitalism”

1. Thank you for sharing this text, Susana. After reading the whole Wikipedia article (including the part about Ende “idealizing” the Italian lifestyle/sense of time), Momo seems like a fascinating fictional version of Thompson’s concluding ideas.